Thursday 6 December 2007

Terror ride in cab pursued by repossessor

http://www.straitstimes.com/print/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_183859.html
Dec 6, 2007

ON TUESDAY I had a terrifying ride in a TransCab taxi.

I had just hailed the cab when a car pulled up next to it and the driver demanded that the cabby not pick me up, leading me to suspect that the driver might be a road bully.

Fearing for my safety (I was by then in the cab) and that of the cabby, I told him to drive off to avoid any confrontation.

The cabby claimed that he did not know who the driver of the car was.

Thus began my most terrifying taxi ride. The driver tailgated the cab and the cabby drove hurriedly throughout the journey, trying very hard to shake off his pursuer. At one point, the cab veered dangerously into the path of a filtering bus.

The 10-minute journey seemed like the longest taxi ride I ever had. It was frightening to think about what might have happened. A road accident? Or an ugly confrontation - we have heard enough of road bullies, haven't we?

It was upsetting to learn later that the pursuer was a repossessor for TransCab and he was chasing after the cabby for payments he had defaulted on.

The incident left me exasperated. It made me wonder if the taxi company had any regard for the safety of commuters or, for that matter, the safety of other road users.

Was there no other way to recover payment? Were there no guidelines for repossessors, to safeguard the safety of commuters?

Sarah Tan Li Choo (Ms)

No comments: