Friday 14 December 2007

Taxi companies should look into drivers' conduct

ST Dec 14, 2007

I READ with sadness and frustration the news about how cabby Lee Yuet Kong caused the death of a young financial adviser with his bizarre and reckless behaviour on the road.

After many near misses with reckless taxi drivers on the road, my luck ran out and I finally became involved in an accident with one.

A Comfort taxi driver suddenly tried to turn right to enter a carpark when he was on the left lane of a two-lane road. When we got out of our vehicles, he had the audacity to put the blame on me first.

My unfortunate accident is just one example of the many irresponsible and inconsiderate driving antics of our taxi drivers on the road these days. Some other instances I have encountered include taxi drivers swerving to the left suddenly without signalling to pick up a passenger, drifting into my lane without signalling and hogging two lanes at once. People I have spoken to tell me of similar brushes with taxi drivers and the overall feeling is of frustration and helplessness at the situation.

As Comfort Delgro and other taxi operators raise fares again, I beseech them to not just look at improving the takings of their drivers, but also at improving their drivers' road discipline and conduct.

I might have lost my no-claim discount, but I think I am lucky that I have emerged unscathed. Others have not and might not be so lucky.

Mok Wen Kwang

No comments: