Monday 19 November 2007

Passengers get off without paying cabbie


http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost6692.aspx
Posted on 19 Nov, 2007

First, they did not alight at their initial destination. Next, they asked the cabbie to continue the journey, not specifying a destination. Finally, they refused to pay for the taxi fare.

Three passengers made this one hell ride for a cabbie, who had picked them up at Emerald Hill on 18 November at about 12.30am, and was asked to bring them to Clarke Quay.

STOMPer Ng Leong Chye wrote in to STOMP on behalf of his uncle, the unlucky cabbie. This is his uncle's account:

"At about 12.40am, I stopped at the Clarke Quay taxi stand, informing them that the fare was $5.10. The side passenger door was open for them to get down and suddenly, they told me to continue the journey.

"Without any specified destination, I informed them that I could not do so as they did not give me a clear destination. Then they started to scold me with Hokkien vulgarities.

"They finally got off and slammed the door of my taxi,without paying the taxi fare due!"

Leong Chye's uncle later filed a police report.

His afterthoughts about the incident?

"I feel that those three passengers are a disgrace to Singapore. We as taxi drivers are only doing our job and I feel we should be given some respect from customers, not enduring bullying tactics from them.

"Nowadays, there are many negative news report on taxi drivers who choose passengers and tout. But some passengers are equally guilty of poor ethics and I strongly believe that this kind of incident not only happens to me, but also to other taxi drivers.

"I hope that through this report, other taxi drivers will also stand out and share their stories.
"If more of passengers are like the three passengers I had encountered, who would still want to be taxi drivers? What would the society of Singapore will become?"

No comments: