Tuesday 18 December 2007

Why can't our MRT, taxi service just be like Hong Kong's?

ST Dec 18, 2007

I JUST returned from Hong Kong. It was my third trip there. I must say that I am truly impressed by the efficiency of the transport system and the attitude of those in the service industry.

Let's start with their MTR, which is our MRT equivalent. Never once did I have to wait for more than three minutes for the next train to arrive, be it peak or non-peak periods. The public announcement system was loud and clear, even when underground.

I especially liked the fact that, in the train itself, the blinking lights above the train doors helped to tell commuters the next destination, where the interchange was, and which side of the train the doors would open. Thus, it came as no surprise to me that my aunt who has been to Hong Kong a couple of times to stay with my cousin who is working there dares to take the HK MTR alone but not the MRT in Singapore. Here, my uncle has to drive her around.

Next, let's talk about the taxis in Hong Kong. Not a single taxi driver expressed his displeasure at having to drive me to my hotel, which is a good 15-minute if I had walked from the nearest KCR, that is, the Shatin train station, even though the meter never even once jumped. I paid HK$15 (about S$3) which was the flag-down rate. I also boarded a taxi at about 11pm after shopping at Tsim Sha Tsui, which is on the main island, back to my hotel which was in New Territories and not on the main island. The taxi driver told me to hop on though it was clearly out of the way. And guess what? The whole trip cost HK$89 (less than S$20) for a good half-an-hour ride. You might say that these taxi drivers were the minority but this is my third trip there and not once have I been rejected because of distance or destination. The same cannot be said about taxi drivers in Singapore. There were also no booking and peak-period charges.

I arrived back in Singapore late at night and had to take a cab back to my Bedok flat. The taxi driver (a Silvercab) was clearly very unhappy. He grumbled and complained that he had waited very long to pick up passengers and it was just his luck that it was me. He went on and on about Singaporeans being very stingy about tipping taxi drivers, unlike foreigners, and that we should not expect taxi drivers to help us with our luggage, as after all they were not like porters who actually received tips for carrying our luggage. He certainly gave me the impression that he expected more than just the metered fare and that he should be duly compensated for picking a passenger like me who lives so near the airport as he had waited very long and that he had also helped me with my luggage. Seriously, if I were not alone, I would have given it to the taxi driver big time. Talk about service.

Last Thursday night, my two friends and I tried to get a cab outside Robinsons, Raffles City, at about 10pm. Not a single cab turned into the taxi queue except those with the 'on-call' signs. Needless to say, we also had to call one. We called Comfort, Smart and SMRT. None responded. Where did all the taxis go? I cannot imagine what will happen when the new charges kick in. Why can't we have a flat rate, say $5 or $6, and do away with all the confusing booking, peak period and call-booking charges? Oh, for goodness' sake, stop quoting examples from cities like Sydney and London whose fares are much higher. Don't forget the costs and standard of living in these countries are also much higher. Why not compare ourselves to Hong Kong, Taiwan and Shanghai, China? In the end, my friends and I went to take the bus or the MRT after trying in vain to call a cab for 45 minutes.

In Hong Kong, the staff in the service industry were friendly and efficient. They often took the initiative to check with other outlets for a particular size, colour or any items that they did not have without being asked unlike in Singapore. I have also not seen staff standing around talking to other staff or busy texting their friends while at work. All these are quite rampant in Singapore.

The saddest part is I noticed recently that foreigners were the ones who rendered better service in Singapore like the buffet restaurant at Roxy Mercure Hotel opposite Parkway Parade. The manager and the waiters, mostly foreigners, were polite and attentive. They smiled and were more genuine than many of the other retail outlets where the staff put on their plastic smiles and shout the usual greetings.

If Singapore wants to be world-class, something has to be done before we lose out.

Soh Bee Pheng (Ms)

No comments: