Saturday 15 December 2007

No taxis in sight, but one appears in a jiffy when call booking is made

Dec 15, 2007

ON DEC 8, at about 8.20pm, my family members and I joined the tail end of a long taxi queue at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal.

Immediately behind me were a couple of Caucasian expatriates and one commented on the length of the queue and lack of taxis.

The other responded: 'You are new here, my friend. This is a classic case of taxis in Singapore'.

He whipped out his cellphone and, less than a minute later, a taxi appeared. Triumphantly, he announced after checking its registration, 'That's our taxi', and off they went to two different locations in Orchard Road.

I do not normally depend on taxis for transport but, on this occasion, I needed one. With family and luggage in tow, tired and hungry after the ferry ride, we needed a taxi badly.

Granted the ferry terminal is way out, save for Maxi cabs, few taxis will venture there for fares. But in this case, I was utterly amazed at the speed in which the call was responded.

This is indeed a 'classic case' of Singapore taxis that even foreigners speak off. If this practice of taxis deliberately lurking nearby for calls is not corrected, Singapore taxis' classic image will spread far and wide.

David Tan Hwee Lin

Copyright © 2007 Singapore Press Holdings.

No comments: